1. Install osCommerce Seo ModulesThe very first step that should be done is to install some of the popular osCommerce seo modules. At a minimum the a meta tags module such as Header Tags Seo and a search engine friendly urls module such as Seo G Urls or Ultimate Seo Urls should be installed. View our article on osCommerce Seo Modules for more information on seo modules for osCommerce.
2. Perform Keyword ResearchChoosing the right keywords to use in optimizing your osCommerce website is the most important step in the search engine optimization process. Here are a few things to consider while researching keywords to use:
- Keyword Relevance Research keywords that your target audience might use to search for your products or services. Choose the right keyword and you will get highly targeted easy to convert visitors. Choose the wrong keywords and all you will get is lots of traffic that does little more than put a drain on your server resources.
- Keyword Search Volume Use a keyword research tool such as Wordtracker to get the search volume of a particular keyword or phrase. Given two keywords, it’s better to optimize for the keyword that gets the most traffic. Optimizing your osCommerce for keywords that results in no traffic is a waste of time and money.
- Keyword Competition When choosing keywords consider your chances of ranking on the first page of the major search engines for a particular keyword. If there’s a lot of competition for a particular keyword, you may have to select a variation of the keyword in order to rank on the first page of the search engines.
3. Meta Tag OptimizationUse one of the available meta tags modules to optimize the meta title, meta description and meta keywords tags. When optimizing the meta tags, your keyword chosen for the particular page should show up at least once in each of those tags and be placed as close to the front as possible.
The title tag should be around 60 characters while the meta description should be limited to about 160 characters. Neither the meta title nor the meta descriptions tag should contain stop words (a, of, the, on, etc).
4. Content OptimizationThe chosen keyword or keyword phrases should appear throughout the visible page content including in h1-h6 tags; image alt tags; links and link titles. The chosen keywords should also be placed near the top and near the bottom of the page and be in bold text at least once on the page.
5. Link Building / Page PopularityOff site link building plays an important part in search engine optimization and can not only increase a page’s popularity but can also bring targeted traffic to your website.
Keep in mind when posting off site links to your site that whenever possible, you should use your chosen keywords as the link text to your site. Additionally, when submitting links to directories or at other websites, as much as possible, the websites or categories should be related to the products that you are selling.
Read our Link Building Strategies To Avoid for more link building do’s and don’ts.
In some cases, it may be necessary to make coding changes to implement some of the suggestions like configuring the link titles to display the keywords, however, this is basically how to optimize an osCommerce website.
osCommerce-Seo-Studio.com offers affordable SEO for osCommerce solutions.